Virginia District Court approves lawsuit against Libyan warlord Haftar

Virginia District Court approves lawsuit against Libyan warlord Haftar

February 22, 2020 - 21:30
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

The Head of the Libyan-American Alliance Essam Ameish said the US District Court in Virginia had approved the lawsuit against Khalifa Haftar.

Ameish told Libya Alahrar TV that Haftar was notified of the lawsuit via newspapers, adding this approval by the judge was very crucial since in the past, the court wanted Haftar to receive the notification in person to approve the case.

The judge gave the families who filed the lawsuit two weeks to bring all documents, Ameish said, adding that they will do their best to make available all the needed documents as the judge said once the paperwork is done, the verdict can be made.

Libyans residing in the US field a lawsuit against Haftar, UAE and some of Haftar's loyalists for killings and torture in Libya.

Last year, four Libyan families filed a lawsuit against Haftar as well in the US as he is a dual Libyan-American citizen, accusing him of war crimes and crimes against humanity as well as violations of human rights in Libya.