Al-Sarraj: Operation Peace Storm launched to respond to militias' attacks on civilians

Al-Sarraj: Operation Peace Storm launched to respond to militias' attacks on civilians

March 26, 2020 - 20:25
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

The Head of the Presidential Council Fayez Al-Sarraj said Operation Peace Storm is launched to respond to the continuing attacks on civilians in Tripoli by Khalifa Haftar's forces.

In a statement on Wednesday, Al-Sarraj said the operation is to avenge the victims of "the terrorist militias and their mercenaries" and to respond forcefully to any attacks on the Government of National Accord's forces.

He said GNA forces won't sit and watch the repeated violations of the truce as the new operation had been ordered to respond to the terrorist attacks on civilians, saying the Peace Storm forces successfully carried out their mission on Wednesday.

"GNA has the legitimacy in Libya and it respects the international community, but it also has a duty to protect Libyan civilians as per the international laws." Al-Sarraj added, saying Haftar forces' attacks on civilians were still ongoing and causing casualties among women, men and children in violation of Berlin conference conclusions and UN Security Council resolution and in total disregard to the safety and lives of Libyans.

Operation Peace Storm was launched on Wednesday, according to Libyan Army spokesman Mohammed Gununu, to target the positions from where the attacks of Haftar's forces on civilians are carried out.

 

News in images :