Three young girls have been killed and their mother and little brother were severely injured in an airstrike by Khalifa Haftar's warplanes on Al-Fernaj neighborhood in Tripoli, spokesman for Health Ministry of Presidential Council's government Fawzi Awnis confirmed on Monday.
Awnis added that at least five other people had been wounded in the airstrike that hit a residential area, saying that one girl has had her leg amputated.
The Head of the Presidential Council Fayez Al-Sarraj visited the struck location in Al-Fernaj and saw that a two-story house of a displaced family had been targeted by warplane missile and turned to rubble, in addition to several other damaged houses and the headquarters of the Health Ministry.
"This is an intentional attack on civilians and is a horrendous crime that will never go unpunished." Al-Sarraj said on the scene.
This comes after the Presidential Council has issued a statement condemning the attack and calling on the UNSMIL to protect civilians as per the UN Security Council resolutions.
The statement said that the lack of a conclusive international community stance toward the "attacking militias of the war criminal" Khalifa Haftar encouraged them to commit more atrocities against civilians.
"It's yet another crime added to the list of atrocities committed by the war criminal and his forces, including those against airports and private as well as public properties." The statement reads, adding that Haftar's actions are violations of international laws and conventions and are indications of his desperation after failing many times to "occupy Tripoli."
The Presidential Council called on legal and humanitarian organizations to document the crimes that are against the international humanitarian law so that the perpetrators are brought to justice.