The Red Castle, also known as Assaraya Alhamra, is a historic building in Tripoli which houses a national museum that covers 5,000 years from prehistory to the time of Libya's kingdom.
The museum was established in 1919, when the colonial Italians in Libya converted a section of the castle to a museum to house many of the archaeological artifacts scattered across the country since prehistoric times.
The square around the castle was designed in the thirties by architect Florestano Di Fausto. When the British occupied Libya during World War II, the museum occupied the entire complex of the castle and in 1948 was renamed The Libyan Museum.
The museum reopened to the public in 1988, renamed the Assaraya Alhamra Museum–Red Castle Museum, with "state-of-the-art" facilities.
The museum has been closed since 2011.