Violent fighting continues for second day in a row in southern Tripoli

Violent fighting continues for second day in a row in southern Tripoli

March 19, 2020 - 21:36
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

Khalifa Haftar's forces have continued for the second consecutive day their attempts to advance on several frontlines in southern Tripoli, especially Ain Zara, where heavy clashes broke out after very violent fighting on Wednesday.

Sources from Volcano of Rage Operation said they had repelled attacks by Haftar's forces on Ain Zara frontline under heavy artillery shelling, saying most Haftar's fighters were mercenaries.

The spokesman for the Libyan Army Mohammed Gununu said Thursday that their forces had thwarted all the aggression forces' advance attempts, leading to Haftar's indiscriminate shelling on civilian neighborhoods.

"Four females were killed and other persons were injured on Wednesday due to Haftar's blind rockets, which also forced many people to flee their houses, especially in Ain Zara." Gununu added.

He also reiterated that they had accepted the truce to help efforts against the Coronavirus outbreak as they did previously out of humanitarian needs, adding that Libyan Army forces wouldn't hesitate to respond to any attacks by the "invading and mercenary fighters."

UNSMIL urged Thursday Haftar's forces to follow Libyan Presidential Council's suit in accepting the international call for a humanitarian halt of hostilities in Tripoli to allow health authorities respond to the situation on the ground amid fears of Coronavirus outbreak.

UNSMIL welcomed the positive response of the Government of National Accord to international calls for an immediate humanitarian pause to enable various Libyan authorities to respond rapidly to the threat posed by the possible spread of the COVID19 pandemic in Libya.

It also called upon all parties to cease the fighting and join forces to protect Libyans from the catastrophic consequences of this pandemic that spares no one.

The UN mission hoped that a humanitarian truce would encourage the approval by both Libyan parties’ leadership of the UN-facilitated draft ceasefire agreement of 23 February, as reached in Geneva in the framework of the 5+5 intra-Libyan Joint Military Commission.

 

News in images :