The United States' Department of State said American officials met with Khalifa Haftar on Sunday to discuss steps to achieve a suspension of hostilities and a political resolution to the Libyan conflict.
The US Department of State said in a statement that the officials underscored the United States’ full support for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Libya and expressed serious concern over Russia’s exploitation of the conflict at the expense of the Libyan people.
The American delegation included Deputy National Security Advisor for Middle Eastern and North African Affairs Victoria Coates, Ambassador to Libya Richard Norland, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for International Affairs at the U.S. Department of Energy Matthew Zais, and USAFRICOM Deputy Director for Strategy, Engagement, and Programs Brigadier General Steven deMilliano.
"These frank discussions build on recent talks with Tripoli-based officials (Delegation led by Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha and Foreign Minister Mohammed Sayala) aiming to establish a common basis for progress between the parties on the issues that divide them, in the context of moving toward a ceasefire." The statement said.
US news reports revealed earlier this month that Russian mercenaries linked to Wagner Group are fighting on the ground for Haftar's forces on Tripoli outskirts and elsewhere.
Likewise, the UN envoy to Libya Ghassan Salame referred in his recent briefing at the Security Council to the presence of fighters from private military firms on the frontlines in southern Tripoli, warning that direct effects of the foreign intervention in Libya has become very clear.