UNSMIL: 22 persons killed, 3 injured in Libya last August

UNSMIL: 22 persons killed, 3 injured in Libya last August

September 04, 2018 - 21:42
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) documented last August 25 civilian casualties –22 deaths and three injuries – during the conduct of hostilities across Libya.

The UNSMIL said in a report Tuesday that victims included 14 men, two women, four boys and two girls killed, and two men and one woman injured.

"The actual number of civilian casualties is believed to be higher. UNSMIL continues to seek to confirm additional civilian casualties in the course of ongoing hostilities in Tripoli." It explained.

The UNSMIL also said that the majority of civilian casualties were caused by gunfire (three killed and three injured), followed by shelling (five killed) and explosive remnants of war (ERW, one killed), adding that the exact causes of death of the 14 other fatalities were unknown.

UNSMIL also documented civilian casualties in Tripoli (19 killed and one injured), Derna (two killed) and Al-Zawiya (one killed and two injured.)

"UNSMIL documented five additional casualties from other possible violations of international humanitarian law and violations or abuses of international human rights law in al-Ajilat, Benghazi, Derna and Tobruk." The report adds.

In July, UNSMIL documented three deaths and five injuries among civilians across Libya.

In the meantime, clashes in Tripoli left 50 killed and over 138 injured so far, including civilians, according to the Ministry of Health.

"Only Monday alone, three were killed and nine were injured besides two missing people. 18 of the 138 injuries received treatment and left the hospital." Head of the ministry's media office Widad Bin Nyran said.

Clashes are still ongoing on the Airport Road and Wadi Al-Rabee district with no confirmations as to who controls what in that region.