UNICEF: Tripoli violence has taken heavy toll on children

UNICEF: Tripoli violence has taken heavy toll on children

October 22, 2019 - 20:16
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

UNICEF said Tuesday that in the past two weeks, violence has taken a heavy toll on children in Tripoli, in western Libya due to the ongoing fighting.

UNICEF Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa, Ted Chaiban, said in a statement that last Thursday, three children and two women were reportedly killed while driving on a main highway, 16 kilometres from Tripoli.

"On 14 October, , and their mother and a fourth sister badly injured when their house, south of the capital, came under attack." He added.

Chaiban further added that one day earlier, a while in his house and earlier this month, when their school in Janzour, 18 kilometres from the capital was hit.

"These recent attacks are a reminder that children in Libya continue to pay first and most as violence continues in a number of areas in the western parts of the country." He explained.

The UNICEF official added that children are not a target and should be protected at all times wherever they are.

"Parties to the conflict must refrain from attacks on civilian infrastructure including people’s homes, schools, hospitals and medical facilities.” He remarked.

Libya's Health Ministry confirmed Tuesday that from Al-Zlitni family were killed in Khalifa Haftar's mortar shelling on Salah Al-Deen residential buildings in Tripoli.