Two killed in US airstrike in Libya’s southwest

Two killed in US airstrike in Libya’s southwest

March 24, 2018 - 21:39
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

The United States said it had killed two “terrorists” in an air attack on a house in Ubari town, southwestern Libya.

Spokesman for the Presidential Council in Tripoli, Mohamed El Sallak, said Saturday on Twitter that “the airstrike was part of the Tripoli government and US strategic cooperation in fighting terrorism.”

The house targeted by the US air attack was in Al-Sharib neighborhood in Ubari's southern districts and it took place at noon, according to local sources.

The U.S. Africa Command said in a statement that no civilians were killed in this strike.

Photos coming from the aftermath of the attack showed the two persons' bodies losing heads and burnt, while the house was seen fully damaged.

Meanwhile, the residents of Ubari also confirmed that they had been hearing hovering of aircraft in the town for quite some time.

Since the defeat of IS in Sirte in late 2016 by Al-Bunyan Al-Marsoos operation, some remaining militants have taken to desert hideouts in southern Libya.