The Turkish parliament approved on Tuesday a motion calling for an extension in troop deployment in Libya for another 18 months, according to Anadolu Agency.
The proposal was submitted by the Turkish presidency last week, in the light of a request by Libya's UN-recognized Government of National Accord for military assistance.
"There are threats from Libya to Turkey and the entire region, and if attacks resume again, Turkey's interests in the Mediterranean basin and North Africa will be adversely affected," the motion, signed by Recep Tayyip Erdogan, said.
The motion added that permanent peace and ceasefire which was agreed upon in October, as well as political dialogue in Libya is of great importance to Turkey, yet noting the GNA's call for help in November 2019 when warlord Khalifa Haftar attacked the capital Tripoli to seize power.
"Turkey, within the Memorandum of Security and Military Cooperation signed with Libya, will continue to contribute to the training and consultancy support to Libya." The motion said.
The motion also cites risks and threats as coming from Libya to Turkey and the whole region.
"In the case of restart of the so-called Libyan National Army attacks and the clashes, Turkey’s interests both in the Mediterranean basin and North Africa will be adversely affected". The motion said.
In November 2019, Turkey and Libya’s UN-recognized GNA signed an MoU on military cooperation, as well as an MoU on maritime boundaries in the Eastern Mediterranean.
The one-year extendable deal involves technical information, support, development, maintenance, repair, planning and material support as well as training and consultancy services regarding the use of weapons system and equipment.