Russia denies presence of "mercenaries" fighting for Haftar in Libya 

Russia denies presence of "mercenaries" fighting for Haftar in Libya 

November 07, 2019 - 19:48
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

The Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov has denied the presence of Russian mercenaries on Tripoli frontlines fighting for Khalifa Haftar's forces.

"I categorically refute speculations of this kind. We are acting in the interest of the Libyan settlement, we are supporting the existing effort, including through the United Nations; we maintain a dialogue with those who somehow influence the situation." Ryabkov said, according to Sputnik.  

He added that Russia doesn't think that there are any grounds for such statements, such fiction, adding that this is not the first time that US media spread different speculations, wicked rumours, falsehoods targeting Russia.

Libyan officials have reiterated many times that Russian mercenaries were fighting for Haftar's forces and that some of them had been killed in airstrikes on Sabea frontline over a month ago, with some activists posting photos proving their presence.  

Many reports, including latest The New York Times and The Washington Post reports, said over 200 Russian mercenaries - snipers - have been deployed to fight for Haftar's forces on Tripoli frontlines, citing confirmations from US diplomats.

Italian Parliament members from the governing party have also warned that hundreds of Russian mercenaries fighting for Haftar's forces in Libya constitute a concerning turning point in the conflict and damage national reconciliation efforts before the international conference in Berlin.