The Libyan National Oil Corporation (NOC) has shut production at El Feel oil field due to ongoing military activity in the area, it said in a statement on Wednesday.
The NOC Chairman Mustafa Sanallah said there had been airstrikes at the gates of El Feel oilfield and inside a housing compound at the field used by NOC personnel.
"NOC staff at the field are protected in safe areas, but they cannot resume their normal duties." He said.
Sanallah added that production will remain shuttered until military activity ceases and all military personnel withdraw from NOC’s area of operations.
Khalifa Haftar's warplanes carried out airstrikes on El Feel oilfield Wednesday afternoon after Sabha military zone forces, affiliated with Presidential Council's government forces, had controlled the field and kicked out pro-Haftar forces from inside the field.
Military sources said Petroleum Facilities Guard units were the ones that controlled the field without damages and kept the oil production going before Haftar forces' airstrikes.
Sabha military zone sources said their units are still in control of the field despite the airstrikes and are now negotiating with pro-Haftar forces in the largest Libyan oilfield, Sharara, to surrender control of the field peacefully.
Leaders and brigades of the Sabha military zone of the Presidential Council's government led by Ali Kanna issued a statement last week confirming their readiness to thwart any attacks that aim to destabilize the southern region and to secure all vital institutions in the region.