Libya's Interior Ministry urges south Tripoli residents not to return home just yet

Libya's Interior Ministry urges south Tripoli residents not to return home just yet

June 08, 2020 - 17:59
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

The Libyan Interior Ministry of the Government of National Accord called on residents of south Tripoli not to return to their houses now due to mines and IEDs planted by Khalifa Haftar's forces in the liberated area.

The Interior Ministry said Monday that a specialized team was tasked with removing the mines and explosives in the southern Tripoli region, calling on people to stay away from their houses now until the work was done for their own safety.

On Sunday, the Libyan Field Medicine Center said it had recovered some residents who were injured by mines as they returned to their houses in Ain Zara and Salah Al-Deen areas in south Tripoli.

It added that two civilians had been killed and six others injured on Saturday as they entered their houses in areas liberated from Haftar's forces in southern Tripoli.

An engineer at the demining team of the Libyan Army said the mines and IEDs planted in the south Tripoli region amount to 2000 devices as 26 of the personnel had been killed in the last two weeks due to mine explosions while they tried to prove them.