Libyan Grand Mufti Sheikh Sadiq Al-Gharyani has condemned the ISIS suicide attack on the High National Elections Commission (HNEC) that left 16 people killed and others wounded.
“We are saddened by the explosion in Tripoli which targeted the electoral commission,” he said in his weekly program on Tanasuh TV on Wednesday evening.
Two ISIS militants stormed the HNEC building in Ghout Al-Shaal district in the morning and killed a number of the security personnel in gun-to-gun clashes before two of them blew themselves up leaving the HNEC building ablaze.
“We strongly condemn this treacherous attack,” he reacted, adding that “the attack targets the entire Libyan people who are looking forward to the elections to end their suffering.”
The Mufti also accused Khalifa Haftar and his supporters of undermining the electoral process.
Meanwhile, Spokesperson of Dignity Operation, Ahmed Al-Mismari, claimed Wednesday that his army backs the elections, but he confirmed that “the elections can’t be held in the presence of Muslim Brotherhood and the Islamic Fighting Group.”
Dignity Operation accuses its political opponents of being terrorists and affiliates of Muslim Brotherhood and the Islamic Fighting Group.
Last week, warlord Khalifa Haftar said “the elections are a play and the army is the real warranty for the Libyan people to enjoy a decent life.”
The suicide attack has provoked wide local and international condemnation.