Italian Foreign Minister says Libyan oil exports should resume as soon as possible

Italian Foreign Minister says Libyan oil exports should resume as soon as possible

July 22, 2020 - 20:27
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

Luigi Di Maio

The Italian Foreign Minister Luigi di Maio has reiterated the need to resume Libyan oil production and exports after months of closure that, according to National Oil Corporation, led to losses of over seven billion dollars.

Di Maio added, speaking in a media event commemorating the 50th anniversary of the departure of Italians from Libya (1970), that it's very important to achieve sustainable stability in Libya as it could lead to stability in the Euro-Mediterranean region.

The Italian Foreign Minister said earlier this month that solving Libya's crisis needs an end to all foreign intervention that is against the UN resolutions, especially arms embargo on Libya, reaching a ceasefire agreement, reviving political negotiations and resuming oil production and exports, in addition to appointing a new UN envoy to Libya as soon as possible.

The NOC said last week that armed clashes took place in Brega area between Al-Saiqa and pro-Haftar Petroleum Facilities Guard forces near oil depots and tanks.

The NOC called for immediate departure of Syrian, Russian Wagner Group and Sudanese Janjaweed mercenaries from oil fields and ports, urging for ending military presence in the oil crescent region under the supervision of UN-led monitoring teams.

 

News in images :