Haftar confirms to Macron his readiness to sign Libya ceasefire agreement

Haftar confirms to Macron his readiness to sign Libya ceasefire agreement

March 09, 2020 - 22:56
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

Khalifa Haftar met with the French president Emmanuel Macron on Monday and informed him that he was ready to sign the Libyan ceasefire agreement provided that the Government of National Accord would be willing to commit to it.

A statement by The Elysee said Haftar told Macron that he would commit to the ceasefire in Libya as long as the armed groups - Libyan Army under the command of the Government of National Accord - committed to it.

The discussion between Haftar and Macron tackled the oil blockade issue and the drop in oil production, which according to the statement, was caused by foreign intervention in Libya.

Meanwhile, the media office of Haftar's forces said Macron reiterated "full support for the efforts of Haftar's forces in fighting terrorism and achieving stability in Libya".

According to sources loyal to Haftar, the latter's visit to Paris was upon an invitation by Macron himself.

France has been a vital supporter for Haftar's forces, providing them with military and political support since his Dignity Operation kicked off in 2014. Three French soldiers were also killed in Benghazi as their helicopter crashed as they were doing missions related to Haftar's forces at the time.

During Tripoli offensive, France assisted Haftar with Javelin missiles, which were found in Gharyan as it was recaptured by GNA forces last year. France denied using the weapons for combat purposes.

 

News in images :