The Libyan Army forces under the command of the Government of National Accord (GNA) launched Saturday an all-out offensive on Tarhouna city, which is Khalifa Haftar forces' main foothold in west Libya.
GNA forces said they had seized and destroyed a number of military vehicles and captured several fighters from Haftar's forces as they made massive advances toward Tarhouna.
The spokesman for the Libyan Army Mohammed Gununu said the Tarhouna offensive, part of Operation Peace Storm, had led to the killing of many fighters from Haftar's forces and capture of others, including 12 when storming into Al-Hawatem Camp on the outskirts of Tarhouna, while four others had been captured before; besides seizing five military vehicles and destroying three.
"Our forces have advanced as per military tactics and under Air Force cover that targeted positions for Haftar's forces in Tarhouna. This operation is aimed to respond to Haftar's attacks on civilian neighborhoods in Tripoli." Gununu said.
Meanwhile, sources close to GNA's Volcano of Rage Operation said their forces had been advancing on Tarhouna from seven axes under an air cover, let one the airstrikes that hit Haftar forces' positions in south Tripoli and seizing vital locations in Al-Tawaisha frontline.
Videos for the capture of Haftar's fighters and the seized military vehicles have been posted on social media by pro-GNA accounts as observers believe that such losses point to a collapse in morale within Haftar's forces, which could lead to their defeat in western Libya.
The posts included photos showing locations seized by GNA forces in Souq Al-Jumua in Tarhouna, which is very close to the city center, while some sources said GNA had captured more fighters later to bring the number to 100 and seized more vehicles and Howitzers launcher.