GNA brigade pulls out military equipment ahead of reopening Sirte-Misrata road

GNA brigade pulls out military equipment ahead of reopening Sirte-Misrata road

January 02, 2021 - 21:58
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

Hatteen Brigade of the Government of National Accord's (GNA) armed forces will be withdrawing its military vehicles and equipment from the coastal road, taking them back to its camps, a letter from the commander of the brigade, Omar Atham, sent to 5+5 commission of the GNA says.

The brigade that is positioned in Buweirat Hasson on the coastal road said it would send its vehicles and forces back to their headquarters starting Saturday as per 5+5 military commission's orders.

The 5+5 commission agreed on a ceasefire last October. The agreement included the necessary reopening of the coastal road between eastern and western Libya via Sirte.

Last week, Sirte-Jufra Operations Room rejected reopening the Sirte-Misrata road before the departure of foreign fighters and mercenaries from the area as per the ceasefire agreement that said they "must be withdrawn from Libya in three months" since October. As part of the ceasefire, GNA and Khalifa Haftar's forces exchanged last week prisoners of war.