The Egyptian Chief of Staff, Mahmoud Hijazi, said Tuesday that he and Khalifa Haftar had prolonged discussions over a couple of days aiming at convincing the latter to disavow and apologize for the crimes of exhuming the bodies from Ganfouda graves, and killing and torturing civilians and women by his militias in Benghazi.
"We have told Haftar that choosing not to disown the criminals who committed those atrocities will put him in a weak position and will stain his image leading to his position becoming shaky in the Libyan political dialogue." Hijazi said on the Egyptian channel, On TV.
"We told Haftar that without disavowing those acts, his forces will be likened to the terrorists organizations that he claims he is fighting." Hijazi added, saying the international community is watching the incidents with disfavor and if he doesn't apologize for those acts, he won't have any future gains.
He indicated that foreign countries, such as the UK, contacted Egypt once the videos of the atrocities were on social media expressing anger about the fact that Haftar's militias command and media outlets were bragging about their inhuman acts of burning dead bodies, digging up graves and killing women and children.
"Finally, Haftar understood the gravity of the issue and started to get the consequences." He remarked.
Many media outlets reported sources close to the Egyptian President that he blamed Haftar for the failure of the efforts to bring him and Fayez Al-Sirraj together when he rejected meeting Al-Sirraj last month, however, Haftar seem to remain Egypt's first political choice in Libya, especially after the logistic and training support he got from Egypt last year and the joint standpoint on the Islamic forces.