Death toll of Sirte battle against IS terrorists rises to 450

Death toll of Sirte battle against IS terrorists rises to 450

August 28, 2016 - 19:36
Posted in:
Written by: AbdulkaderAssad

The spokesman of the Misrata Central Hospital, Akram Gliwan, said the number of deaths for Al-Bunyan AL-Marsoos operation since its start in May has risen to 450 fighters so far, adding that the hospital has hospitalized over 2,100 injured fighters up until August 27.

Gliwan said the hospital has very limited equipment and very insufficient capacity that allows it to hospitalize no more than 120 injuries (with only 120 beds), yet this capacity has been exceeded more than once over the last three months.

Speaking on the phone with The Libya Observer, Gliwan said the Misrata Central Hospital is suffering from acute shortages in medical staff and nurses, which made mandatory for the hospital to fall back on the medical students instead. He added that almost all of the medicines stock of the hospital has been used; leaving the hospital completely reliant on the aids it receives from private and public sectors and civil societies.

Answering a question about the Presidential Council’s announcement of Italy’s intent to set up a field hospital in Sirte, the hospital’s spokesman indicated that the whole thing has not been more than meetings and ink on paper, adding that even if the field hospital was set up, it won’t take any pressure from Misrata Hospital because it will be a transitional infirmary the injuries pass through on their way to our hospital.

“We have asked for medical staff for the hospital so that we reduce the pressure put on those who are already working in the hospital, yet we have not received a response so far.” He added, saying the setting up of the field hospital can take long time while clashes in Sirte are still ongoing causing more injuries to be accumulated at the hospital in Misrata in need for immediate medical assistance.

“Very small numbers of injured fighters were transferred to Italy, while a big number of them were sent to Tunisia and Turkey.”Gliwan remarked, pointing out that there is a coordination committee tasked with securing treatment flights and monitoring their needs and medical conditions in both Tunisia and Turkey, which are the main two destinations for the Libyan injuries currently.

Gliwan concluded that if medical staff, medicines, and medical equipment were duly provided for the Misrata Central Hospital, then it could receive the injuries and provide proper full treatment for them. However, if those necessary needs were not provided and if the injuries keep on arriving at the hospital, then the hospital will always be insufficient and in great need for help.

Tags: 

News in images :