Benghazi University's Council resigns while conflicting news say schools evacuated over terror threats

Benghazi University's Council resigns while conflicting news say schools evacuated over terror threats

February 12, 2018 - 21:38
Posted in:
Written by: AbdulkaderAssad

Benghazi University's Council reading the resignation

Benghazi University's Council issued a statement Monday containing the resignation of the entire staff, according to the parallel Libyan News Agency (LANA).

The statement attributed the group resignation of the staff to the interference of the assignee of the Interim Government's Education Ministry in the domestic affairs of Benghazi University.

"Classes and lecture will be ongoing in all faculties across east Libya." The University Council explained.

However, the Faculty of Law at the university issued a statement today suspending study until a further notice, urging students "to be careful and abide by the instructions."

Relevantly, conflicting news coming from Benghazi's lower education system - schools - said that several of the schools were evacuated and students were sent home over threats of "terrorist attacks and explosions."

Yet, the Benghazi Security Operations Room denied the evacuation and said all schools were open and students were attending their classes on Monday as usual.

Meanwhile, the panic caused in the issue of the schools started with the statement of the Head of Emergency Police in Benghazi, Jamal Al-Ammami, who said there was a car bomb at the doors of a school in Benghazi, then later he denied it.

However, the Head of the Benghazi Security Operations Room, Tariq Al-Kharaz, later told Bawabat Al-Wasat that there had been evacuation of schools from students, but it was a routine procedure done before exams as per the orders of the Education Ministry's assignee.