UN renews call for cease-fire in Tripoli

News In Brief

UN renews call for cease-fire in Tripoli

May 07, 2019 - 13:38
Written by: SafaAlharathy

The United Nations said on Monday that all parties did not abide by the truce called by its mission in Libya at dawn yesterday, confirming that fighting is continuing on the outskirts of Tripoli.

The United Nations renewed through its spokesman, Stephane Dujarric, its call to abide by the truce and to allow the delivery of humanitarian assistance to those in need, in addition, to ensure the freedom of movement of civilians.

"Terrorist groups will strive to exploit the ongoing fighting in Tripoli, in order to consolidate their presence in Libya," Dujarric said, reminding the dispute parties of the deteriorating humanitarian situation, after the health sector confirmed the occurrence of 104 civilian casualties so far, including 23 deaths.