News Roundup - Wed, Jun 14, 2017

News In Brief

News Roundup - Wed, Jun 14, 2017

June 14, 2017 - 15:44
Written by: HousamNajjair

 

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

The Libyan Fatwa House denounced using the names of the clerics and religious scholars on the terrorists list of UAE, Saudi Arabia and Egypt. It slammed the list as aiming at betraying the nation and undermining the Palestinian Cause for the benefit of the enemy. The FH also denounced naming the Libyan Mufti Al-Sadiq Al-Gharyani and the Libyan cleric Ali Salabi, the Egyptian cleric Yousif Al-Qaradawi and others.

------------------------------------

The UN envoy to Libya, Martin Kobler, denied allegations set against him implying he had set obstacles to obstruct the meeting of both delegations, of the House of Representatives (HoR) and the High Council of State (HCS), in an effort to block the amendments to be made on the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA). Kobler indicated that it was in fact the HoR and HCS themselves who are the main culprits behind the continuous postponement of the process and the delay in starting negotiations on the LPA. Kobler stated at a press conference in the capital Tripoli that "The political process in Libya is currently at a halt, and that gives the opportunity for military players to use the disruption to escalate their military operations."

------------------------------------

The head of the National Oil Corporation, Mustafa Sanalla, stated last Tuesday that Libya's oil production will reach 1 million barrels per day by the end of 2017. Sanalla added that the oil sector is recovering as a result of national efforts and plans set and executed by the oil institution, stressing that by mid-2018 an estimated production of 1.5 million barrels per day should be expected. The National Oil Corporation had stated previously that they plan to reach a production marker of an unprecedented two million and 200 thousand barrels per day by 2022.

------------------------------------

A mortar shell has landed near Al-Jalaa hospital in Benghazi on Tuesday night without exploding. Witnesses said that a military unit identified the location of the shell and removed it without specifying the source of the shell, the reason as to why it landed on hospital grounds or the cause of the clashes in central Benghazi by armed outlaws.

------------------------------------

A Twitter post was made by the Dutch ambassador to Libya, Erik Strating on his personal account on Tuesday, announcing the release of Dutch activist Yvonne Snitjer. The Dutch ambassador said that Snitjer, who disappeared one day before the start of the month of Ramadan was able to leave Libya without any hassle and expressed thanks to those who contributed to her safe removal from the country without giving any further details. The activist Yvonne Snitjer had been living in the capital Tripoli for years, where she founded a special educational center, and has had several appearances on Dutch media regarding the situation in Libya.

------------------------------------

The staff member responsible for the operation of the refrigerators at the morgue in the Sabha Medical Center sent a message to the general manager stating that refrigerators in the hospital are at full capacity, which amounted to 26 bodies, most of which are unidentified. The staff member also stressed that some bodies were already presented to the forensic doctor and need to be buried as soon as possible. He concluded by stating “We cannot receive any more bodies because there is no space in our refrigerators”.

------------------------------------

 

The head of the High Council of State, Abdulrahman Al-Swehli, discussed latest developments in the Libyan political situation, regional and international developments, including repercussions on the Libyan crisis during his meeting with Turkish Ambassador to Libya Ahmed Dogan in Tripoli. The meeting also discussed the percentage of completion of infrastructure projects, especially power plants carried out by Turkish companies. The Turkish ambassador confirmed the construction, equipping and completion of the double station at Khoms and its readiness to operate at full capacity. Dogan also reported that the Obari steam power plant is near completion and will be ready to enter the electrical grid By August this year. These additions are expected to end the deficit which has been effecting the general electricity grid in Libya for years.

------------------------------------

The High Council of State revealed that a meeting took place between some members of the Council along with members of the House of Representatives in the Hague on May 24 which resulted in an agreement on 5 points on the amendment of the executive structures provided for in the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA) and the restructuring of the legislative institution. The High Council of State expressed surprise at statements made by regional parties, referencing Egypt which does not hold the capacity or authority to determine the end of LPA negotiations, and they consider the Egyptian statements a tendency to intervene and dictates their agenda on the Libyan internal issues.

------------------------------------

Security forces from the city of Jadu seized five fuel smuggling trucks on their way to the Tunisian border. The force explained in a statement on their Facebook page that it took all legal measures against smugglers and returned the fuel trucks to their point of origin.

------------------------------------

The deputy of the President of the UN proposed government, Ahmed Mateeq met with the French Ambassador to Libya Brigitte Curmi to discuss the possibility of the French Embassy in Tripoli resuming work in the near future. Economic and political were some of the other topics discussed at the meeting according to a statement released by the media department of the Presidential Council. On the other hand Curmi reiterated France’s continuing support of the UN proposed government and the Libyan Political Agreement.

------------------------------------

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) has announced the return of more than 60,000 people to Sirte, and the fact that more than 8,500 families need assistance. In a report, a Committee confirmed the return of telecommunications and Internet networks for the first time in two years, adding that returnees to Sirte are suffering from a lack of basic services, including hospital and school services. The organization warned in its report of the increase in housing prices, food and basic supplies, noting that according to the report in May the organization provided assistance for more than 400 families.