News Roundup - Wed, Feb 21, 2018

News In Brief

News Roundup - Wed, Feb 21, 2018

February 21, 2018 - 21:51
Written by: NewsDesk

The Head of the High Council of State's political agreement amendment committee Faraj Mousa met Tuesday with the Head of the House of Representatives' political amendment committee Abdelsalam Nasiya in the presence of the UN envoy to Libya Ghassan Salame at the UNSMIL's headquarters in Tripoli to discuss the proposals made to strike accord between the two councils so they can pick an agreed-upon executive authority, which can unite state institutions, media office of the HCS reported. It added that both councils agreed to present the results of the meeting to their fellow council members and keep in touch in the coming days in order to reach an agreement over amending the Libyan Political Agreement that sees the formation of a unified executive power.

------------------------------------------------------

The Chairman of the National Oil Corporation (NOC), Mustafa Sanallah, criticized what he described as the foot-dragging of the Ministry of Finance in liquidating the NOC`s budgets for this year, considering that this delay will have serious consequences on the entire sector. “The delay will lead to a low level of production again in large proportions in addition to having a negative impact on projects.” He said during a meeting with the Chairman of the Management Committee of Jowfe Oil Technology Company, Majdi Jibril. According to the official website of the NOC, both officials discussed the mechanism for continuing the company's work and future programs as well as financial difficulties experienced by the company, which cause a stalling in some important projects and inability to pay its employees' salaries for the past several months.

------------------------------------------------------

The Anti-Illegal Immigration Agency (AIIA) announced on Tuesday that 61 illegal immigrants from Mali were repatriated to their country via Mitiga International Airport in Tripoli. The AIIA stated on their official Facebook page that they had repatriated the migrants to their country in cooperation with the International Organization for Migration (IOM), indicating that the 61 immigrants were brought from the Illegal Immigration Detention Center in Sikka Road. It added that the voluntary return was attended by members of the Malian Embassy in Tripoli.

------------------------------------------------------

Italian Interior Minister, Marco Minniti, said on Tuesday that the influx of migrants from Libya and North Africa is under control, confirming the decline in the number of migrants coming from Libya in the past eight months. Minniti stated in a press statement to RAI Italy that the numbers of immigrants have dropped by 90% up to this February, compared to the same month last year. "We will continue our efforts to manage the illegal immigration file, which is now under control". He said. The Italian minister referred to the situation inside Libya saying that the situation is still fragile and that Africa was in a sensitive situation, adding that "respect for human rights is one of the main concerns for him".

------------------------------------------------------

The Libyan Airports Authority (LAA) has declared that Taminhint International Airport in the south of Libya is due to resume flights and air traffic by the end of February, according to reports that were prepared by a team, which was formed and tasked by the LAA to survey it. The LAA added on Tuesday that they had placed a team in position to survey and carry out the necessary changes to the airport as well as bring all security and operational activities up to standard, so that flights can become operational again and make life for the citizens of the south much better. The LAA also said that they have already took some measures to alter operations at the airport to make it functional and that they will soon address the airlines to resume their operations in the airport during the day as a first stage.

------------------------------------------------------

The Head of the Information Office and Public Relations of stated-owned Almadar Aljadid Mobile Operator, Yousef Badiri, declared on Tuesday that there was an interruption of service in some areas of Tripoli on Monday. Badiri said in a press statement that the interruption of service was due to a technical problem in the carrier network services hired from Libyan telephone company, Hatif Libya, which means that Madar is not responsible for the repairs. He added that Hatif Libya should have done the repairs, explaining that the company has not addressed Al-Madar regarding the start of maintenance until now. He indicated that the areas that were mostly affected by the interruption are those in the center of the capital.

------------------------------------------------------

Suwehli and Ahli Benghazi have qualified for the quarterfinals of the Arab Volleyball Championship in Tunisia. This win comes as Suwehli beat the Saudi Ittihad Jeddah team with three clean sets within Group B to ensure their qualification with Qatar's Al-Rayyan to the next round. Ahli Benghazi defeated the Moroccan AS FAR Rabat team to tie up with the leaders of Group A Al Ahli from Bahrain.

News in images :