Eastern government goes regional, rejects deal to unify Libya's National Oil Corporation

Eastern government goes regional, rejects deal to unify Libya's National Oil Corporation

July 07, 2016 - 13:04
Posted in:
Written by: AbdullahBenIbrahim

Al-Thanni government wants 40% in net oil revenues 

The eastern government of Libya, headed by Abdullah Al-Thanni, has totally rejected last week's agreement by rival oil officials in Tripoli and Tobruk to end their differences and unite the country's National Oil Corporation into one administration.

Speaking to Dignity Operation's Alhadat TV last Monday, Al-Thanni said the agreement will not be accepted until certain preconditions are met.

Based on regional interest, Al-Thanni demanded that 40% in net oil revenues must be allocated to the eastern region and the remaining 60% goes to the western and southern regions.

He went further and demanded that salaries and subsidies on fuel, foodstuffs, electricity and medicines for the eastern region should not be taken from the 40% net revenues, but form the 60% allocated to the western and southern regions.

Al-Thanni claimed that this is a fair distribution of oil revenues.

He also demanded that the HQs of the National Oil Corporation should be in Benghazi.

"We never accept dictations from the Tripoli group; we will not comply with any agreement that violates our 'sovereignty'." He said.

Last week, Officials at the National Oil Corporation in west and east Libya.

The deal was welcomed by the governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States, which reaffirmed their readiness to halt the illicit shipment of oil from Libya and to sanction those who seek to exploit or divert Libya’s oil or oil wealth.