It is the ancient center of the city, which overlooks the Mediterranean sea and surrounded by a wall. It contains plenty of shops, cafes, and many of archaeological and historical buildings, including former consulates of countries such as Spain, France and the United States. For instance, the main building of the Bank of Rome in Libya, built in 1917, became a branch of the Al-Omma Bank, also a Turkish prison building, that built in 1664, later turned as a headquarters of the Spanish Consulate to become a library for children.
The Old City Markets
The commercial and crafts markets of the old city of Tripoli spread within its urban framework, which confined between the city walls, extending over an area of 48 hectares, have taken different styles of their own architecture. The Tripoli markets were organized in the middle of open-road squares, and others covered with roofed corridors, which numbered about 29 multidisciplinary markets. Names of the markets: Al-Mushir Market, Al-Turk Market, Old Rabaa or (Arab) Market, Al-Laffa or (New Rabaa) Market, Al-Qazdara Market, Al-Quwai'a Market, Al-kutub Market, Al-Riqriq or (Al-Framil) Market, Al-Harir Market, Al-Nijara Market, Al-Sagha Market, Al-Attara Market and the traditional industries market.
The Old City Gates
There are 8 gates of the surrounding wall of the old city, some of them are: Bab Al-Hurriya: It was located near the southern wall of the city, which was also known by many names such as: Bab Al-Arab and Bab Al-Naser, but its features have disappeared. Bab Al-Jadid: It is located near the Bab Zenata gate on the western side of the wall, which is a large opening in the wall in the form of an arch of building, fixed with a large wooden door clad with a metal layer. Bab Zenata: It is located close to the Bab Al-Jadid gate, which is a large opening in the wall from the south side, it is famously called “Bab Zenata” because it was opposite to the Zanata tribesmen who lived in the south of the city wall. Ban Al-Bahr: It was made of double doors and located opposite to the arch of Marcus Aurelius, that was demolished by the Italians during their occupation of the country. Ban Al-Khandaq (trench): It was famous by this name because it was located at the entrance to the trench, which originally surrounded the castle, and was submerged by sea water, that was backfilled and converted into a road known as the Al-Khandeq (trench) Road. Bab Al-Menshia: It is located at the entrance to the Al-Mushir Market, opposite to the Martyrs Square, it is one of the oldest gates of the city, and many names have been given to it, the most famous are,Bab Hawara and Bab Al-Menshia.
Assaraya Al-Hamra or Tripoli Red Castle
It is one of the most important landmarks of the city, it was so called because some parts of it were painted red, and It is located in the northeastern side of the old city of Tripoli with an area of about 1300 square meters. it overlooks Tripoli port and the Red Castle Lake, which was previously a sea before it was filled in the 1970s. The Tripoli Red Castle was a great fortress to defend the city of Tripoli in the Byzantine era, where it is narrated that when the Muslim Arabs under the leadership of Amr bin Al-Aas marched on Tripoli in 21 AH to 642 CE, they found the city surrounded by a strong wall, and they were not able to enter the city until after a siege that lasted a month. And when Italy seized Tripoli in 1911, the Castle became the Governor-General's residence, and some parts of it were also used as museums. during this period, many changes occurred to it, the most important of which was the removal of some of the external buildings that were adjacent to it, and the paving of the road that leads to the port of Tripoli. In 1919 the castle became a museum for the first time in its history.