September 2020

Libyan Army denies withdrawal of Russian Wagner Group from Sirte

September 03, 2020 - 21:39
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

The spokesman for the Sirte-Jufra Operations Room of the Libyan Army under the command of the Government of National Accord, Abdelhadi Drah, has denied the pullout of Russian Wagner Group mercenaries from Sirte and Jufra positions to Ras Lanuf.

Drah told local media Thursday that the pro-Haftar Central Backup Force, which was positioned at Checkpoint 40 km in western Sirte, had left to an unknown destination.

Libya's Mufti: Haftar is mobilizing military forces for new offensive

September 03, 2020 - 20:55
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

The Libyan Mufti, Sheikh Al-Siddiq Al-Gharyani, has called for paying more attention to military frontlines, especially Sirte, warning that Khalifa Haftar is building up a military offensive that he could commence any moment, disregardful of the ceasefire agreement.

Speaking on Tanasuh TV channel in Libya, the Mufti said Wednesday that Haftar's forces had been mobilizing forces, bringing modern aircraft, money, weapons and mercenaries, adding that arms shipments aircraft had been arriving from Russia on a daily basis in his support.

Libya's GNA ends suspension of Interior Minister, allows him back in post

September 03, 2020 - 20:07
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

The Presidential Council of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) has decided to allow Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha to resume his work after almost a week of suspension.

The suspension decision of the Presidential Council was tied to investigating Bashagha for his orders to secure Tripoli and other cities' protests and the consequent events.

The Presidential Council issued Thursday an order saying Bashagha would assume his post as an Interior Minister effective immediately.

Al-Sunni to the UN Security Council: We will not repeat past mistakes

September 03, 2020 - 17:16
Posted in:
Written By: SafaAlharathy

Libya's Permanent Representative to the UN, Taher Al-Sunni reiterated on Wednesday that the Government of National Accord (GNA) will not repeat past mistakes.

"The Libyan army is fully prepared to deal with any treachery in the absence of guarantees to implement the ceasefire or prevent another aggression," Al-Sunni told UN Security Council members via video-teleconference yesterday.

UN acting envoy: Use of Libya’s oil as a weapon of war exacerbated people's misery

September 02, 2020 - 21:00
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

The acting envoy of the United Nations in Libya Stephanie Williams said in a virtual briefing at the Security Council Wednesday that the use of oil as a weapon of war had only exacerbated the misery of the Libyan people and propelled the country towards economic and social collapse.

Williams told the Security Council that it was clear that the only path out for Libya would be through dialogue and compromise leading to a comprehensive political settlement and culminating in national elections.

HoR Speaker requests EU support to consolidate Libya's ceasefire

September 02, 2020 - 20:40
Posted in:
Written By: AbdulkaderAssad

The Speaker of the Tobruk-based House of Representatives (HoR) Aqila Saleh has asked the High Representative of the European Union (EU) Josep Borrell, in a meeting in Al-Qubba, to provide EU support to consolidate the ceasefire and make oil revenues in the country an unbiased issue.

Pages